Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Two Capes

At this time, I have two capes. This is their story.

I started playing really seriously in about December of 2008. Yeah I played a lot before that but I kind of did my own thing and never really trained anything. In fact it wasn't until the Grand Exchange that I really got serious about training and, more importantly, looking pretty :-)

I make a lot of lists. I also doodle a lot. It's the only way I can stay focused in class. Looking back on old notebooks, I did a ton of math for leveling up skills, planning my house, and, most important of all, quests I needed to do.

Ah, quests! Back in the day, I did quests as I felt like it- which was never. I only quested on those days when I wanted to play but nothing looked fun at the time. I'd get into questing moods and go do a quest or two. There were so many impossibly hard quests I had to do, and wrote them in several lists. I remember clearly the day questing changed for me.

It was back when I was trying to get Karamja Gloves 3. One of the requirements is to get a task from Duradel, for which you need 100 combat. Therefore I was trying to get all my melee stats to 75 as quick as possible. One of the most important quests that gave a ton of melee experience was Monkey Madness- one which had been sitting 1/4-finished for about two years. I refused to do it because it was "really hard and the chance of death was certain." Finally, one day, I'd had enough. My own dad did it at like 70 combat and had no trouble so one day at school I sat him down next to me, turned on my compy, and proceeded to charge through it. He was there for my moral support... LOL!

As I started doing it, I realized that, in fact, it was very easy. After all, I was nearly 100 combat! I packed up and went home, having it about half done, and finished it all on my own. I was so happy! So happy in fact that I immediately turned around and did the monkey subquest of Recipe for Disaster. Wow, one of the biggest blocks done!

I did a few more quests here and there, and spent some time getting levels for quests I wanted to do (*cough* rocking out *cough*). One day, not too far into the year, I got 72 Woodcutting. This might not seem like a big deal but I quickly realized that, except for mage, I had all the levels I needed for every quest. A friend and I did Back to my Roots together and I was off. Questing with a friend was sooooo fun!!! I quickly went on a questing rampage and it wasn't long before I only had about 20 quests left. It was around this time that I had a dream that I got my first skillcape- Defence.

So from early May, I was off in a flurry of Slayer and quests. The more I quested, the more I loved it. I began to appreciate the storylines and enjoyed about every quest I did. I was doing a good 2 quests or so a day. The most quests I did in one day was 5 of 6- that took care of all the post-WGS quests and the remaining "easy" quests. Pretty soon, I had 10 quests left- Contact, Scabaras, Desert Treasure, MEP2, Spirit of Summer, Summer's End, Recipe For Disaster (final battle), Hunt for Surok, Kennith's Concerns (don't even start me on how frustrating it was!!!),...and While Guthix Sleeps. I gave myself a week. I did it.

Finally, after so long, and after seeing so many questcapes and thinking "wow!! that person is awesome!!!" I was doing the grandmaster. It was long. It took me about 8 hours to do it all. I started immediately after I finished Summer's End, did an hour, went to bed, and then did the rest. I won't give it away in case people haven't done it yet, but I will say I cried and cried during that one sad part. Oh man it was like a movie. Finally it was time for the final battle. I nearly died on the first monster- ring of life saved me. I can't switch prayers to save my life! I'd do terribly at Jad... I came back and he was dead. The next boss was easy- I was basically invincible!Of course, you don't get a super-uber-ownage boost every day so I took a picture. You can see my mage level was only 73 (I didn't mage ONCE in the quest other than the lunar spells) and that my Defence was already 90! (wow I didn't realize it was that high when I did WGS!)

Finally it was over. It was in the evening, and I quickly went to finish the quest. With shaking hands, I quickly selected Summoning for all 4 of the 100k XP bites. The quest was over. The cool music played and after many fireworks, I found that I had gone from 68 to 73 Summoning. Yay!! Hello Guthix Raptor and Ex-Ex-Parrot!!!! I was so happy and was so proud I could explode. My smile was HUGE!! I ran as quickly as I could to Draynor where I got my cape. I put it on and didn't recognize myself. I, of course, had an outfit picked out so I put it on and proceeded to stare at myself for about half an hour. I was in awe. The date was Friday, 26 June, 2009 :-D
That night, the music from the quest cape emote played in my head over and over again. I about cried with joy. No- I did! I couldn't believe I did it! I got upgraded from Girl in Green to Quest Sister :-)

Right after that, I worked hard to get the levels I needed for all the achievement diaries. I heard somewhere that with the finished set the questcape would trim. Only a couple weeks later and I got them all! Yay!!

OK so with that out of the way, I had the rest of the summer to work on Defence. I didn't nolife it so it took a little longer than if I'd done it nonstop. With every level I got more and more excited. If anyone's wondering how I did it, it was 7 parts Slayer, 2 parts Zombies, and 1 part Soulwars. I raised my Slayer level from somewhere in the 50's to 79 with 99 Defence. The weapon? An abyssal whip. I achieved this amazing milestone in my kitchen, my dad on his laptop at my side, on Saturday, 12 September, 2009. How did I react? "*very high pitched voice* Ooooo look!! Eeeeeee!! Oh my gosh I got 99!!!"

I won't give you all the details; I summed them up nicely in my 99 Defence Video :-)




By the way, here's what my stats were right afterward:
And yes, to celebrate my 99 Defence, I made a blue cake with white trim. I am that nerdy.

The bottom says "Gratz Full Of Pie!!!! 99Def!!!!!!" It was quite yummy :-)

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment