Saturday, September 19, 2009

Who Am I?

I started playing this game in approximately May of 2006. I was hanging out at home one day with my boyfriend when he typed in a weird "run escape" website into my computer. I had no idea what would come up so I was interested when he told me it was a computer game. He told me that he played this game a little and that if I got an account we could play together! He led me to the account-making section where I promptly chose "Dragondodger" as my name. It was taken :-( He then told me that it would be cool is our names were opposites. His name, through his crazy and creative mind, was "Lack Of Pie." I agreed so I tried "Lots Of Pie" which too was taken. Then, quickly thinking of another word for "lots," typed in "Full Of Pie." It was open.

After that, my boyfriend helped me through tutorial island and I was on my way. Now back then, there were no Lumbridge guides so I was all on my own. I actually don't even remember Lumbridge at all! The first thing I did with my stuff was walk over to south of the Varrock East Mine, that area with the unicorn, bear, and trees, and start cutting trees and burning logs. I did this for a very long time. Finally at some point I moved on to cows. Kill cow, cook meat, eat meat, repeat. I had no concept that food was to heal you if you got hurt. Since I didn't really pay attention in tutorial island, I had no concept of much of anything!

Since my boyfriend was a much higher level than me, he would give me lots of goodies. He could craft rings and gave me new rings as his crafting level got higher. He also led me through the stronghold of security because I wanted the fancy boots. Man that was scary! One day I noticed my boyfriend fighting things higher than his level. I had no concept of training on things and it was about a year before I did any active combat training.

The world map was much harder to access back then so I pretty much had to stumble through freeplay until I knew where everything was. With my good sense of direction it didn't take long. That was before the Wilderness ditch too, so I flat out refused to go north of Varrock or Barbarian Village. I thought Edgeville was in the Wildreness too, so I refused to go there. I hated the thought of getting killed by other players, probably because I am a girl.

As a funny story, the first time I went to Falador was not the way most people did. I was on Ice Mountain and found a cool underground mine full of scorpions and, WOW!!, adamantite ore!! After stumbling around I found a king scorpion that was huge and also a set of stairs. I climbed them and ta-da!! I was in Falador!

I ended up totally loving the game and of course, being curious as to what was on the other side of Falador, started thinking about becoming a member. It was definitely affordable for me so in August or so of 2006 I went ahead and did it. There were really two reasons that influenced my decision. Number one being that I wanted a cat (Gertrude's Cat quest had just come out). Number two was I wanted to know what ore was in what I now know is the Taverly mine. Around this time was when I realized Edgeville was not in the Wilderness so taking a tip from Sal's Runescape website, I trained on the men in that house north of the bank to get "good" drops. I can still remember my first member's item I ever got. It's an item no longer in the game, actually. I got an unidentified herb, better known as a unid.

Around this time, as I was exploring, I came across the Duel Arena. I was so excited! A place where two people could safely kill each other! I loved this so me and my boyfriend would go in there occasionally. Of course he would beat me every time because he had much higher levels. I needed someone with a lower combat with me. More importantly, I needed to find a friend who would love this game and play it as much as I was. Hmm... Someone like... My dad.

Long story short, I successfully got my own dad hooked on Runescape. For the record, I never owned him in the duel arena. He too quickly became a much higher level than me.

Fast forward to today, three years later. I now have all levels over 60 (only two actually remain in the 60's), have a Quest Cape, 99 Defense, and am very active in clan chats. I am 100% a follower of Guthix and not only because he is green. I am for the most part very friendly and willing to help out others. My memory is excellent and I get the most joy in helping others. I will never call someone a "noob" unless they are pesky and annoying. I have played most of the minigames with only about three left that I need to play, and have gone to all corners of Runescape as well as done every skill. I do whatever I feel like at the time and it changes a lot. I am most often doing something and when I don't feel like doing anything but chatting I'll most likely be fishing.

My boyfriend stopped playing RS as long time ago so I am "on my own" in terms of our little pair but I don't mind. Maybe he'll rejoin one day ;-)

Until next time, this is Full Of Pie.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, loved the story. :) Liking the rest of your blog too! Perhaps put my link in this post? I'm trying to get as much attention as I can to start!

    Love the blog, going to subscirbe. :)

    ReplyDelete